Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Is It Just Me Battling to Exercise?


I love the look of a sleek, slick, fit and healthy body. Even better, I love the feeling of being fit. I love being able to bound up a flight of stairs without collapsing in a fit of coughing. I love running a short circuit in our neighbourhood without the feeling that all the oxygen was suddenly released off the planet. I love walking briskly and suddenly realising that I am the one who is still breathing evenly while everybody else wheezes along.

So, why then, is it such a schlep to motivate myself to exercise? Once I begin, I always enjoy myself, apart from the few times that I overdid it in wild enthusiasm. If I know that it will be fun, why do I have the need to force myself into action? I love eating and I don't need to force myself to eat. I love reading and I don't need to force myself to read. I could go on and on. I cannot understand why it is so difficult to do something that brings good results and that is fun once I get down and do it.

Some Easily Motivate Themselves to Exercise

So, what I want to know is, is it just me? I know some people who eagerly leap out of bed on cold early mornings to get in enough running mileage, or who pry their eyes open at some dark phase of the morning and push weights at the gym. When I awaken in the mornings all I want to do is snuggle under my covers for as long as possible.

Then there are those who rush out of the office the second it is acceptable and dash to their form of exercise before going home to cook, bath and all the rest of our nightly chores. When I leave work, I usually feel rather exhausted and enjoy a leisurely drive home, popping in to the shops to get something easy to prepare for supper, pour myself a glass of wine and get on with dinner, so that I can soak in a hot tub, possibly with a book, and then lounge in front of my current favourite reality TV show and nod off.

The only thing that causes me to stop at the gym is the fact that I have prepaid for it and if I don't go a certain amount of times a month I will lose it. And I can't afford a new gym contract. So I force myself and once there, amazing - I enjoy it!

Is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment