Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Biggest Regrets in Life




I tend to scan through most of the inspirational emails that I receive and then delete them, however every now and again I find one that I read from beginning to end and consider it worth sharing. Recently an email found it's way into my inbox that I think is worth commenting on. 
It was written by a woman who worked in palliative care. Her patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. As each patient grappled with their mortality, a few common threads emerged.

The following regrets were mentioned over and over and they are worth contemplating while we still have life:
  • I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me  When our lives are almost over and we can look back, we see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people have not lived their dreams and it was due to choices that they had or had not made.                                                                                                                                                   Try to achieve at least some of your dreams. When you lose your health, it is too late. Use the freedom of health to go for it.
  • I wish I hadn't worked so hard                                                                                                     This resonates with many men patients. Due to being a workaholic it is too easy to miss the joys in your children's successes and the love and contentment of your partner's companionship.                                                                                                        Simply simplifying your lifestyle and making intentional choices makes it possible live on another level of income. Creating space in your life opens doors to new opportunities.
  •  I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings                                                                      So many people suppress their feelings in to avoid conflict, which often results in settling for mediocrity and never becoming authentic.                                                                                      Although we cannot control the reactions of others, when we speak honestly, it elevates relationships to new and healthier levels. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you will be living authentically.
  • I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends                                                                            We tend to get so caught up in our lives that we let friendships slip away with time. There have been many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. When you are faced with approaching death, the physical details of life are no longer as important. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end.  
  • I wish that I had let myself be happier                                                                                      Many found at the end that happiness is a choice. They had remained in old patterns and habits allowing comfort of familiarity to rule. Fear of change caused them to pretend to others and to themselves that they were content. However, they yearned to laugh loudly and behave outrageously at times.                                                                                                                

Life is a choice. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness.






No comments:

Post a Comment