Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How to be an Optimist

I have been told on many occasions that I am one of those people who see the glass half-full. Being optimistic seems to come naturally to me.  In recent times, I have had to face quite a few disastrous situations, yet I somehow always believe that it will all work out.

I've noticed that most people around me allow circumstances to get them down.  So, instead of judging them for their pessimism, I thought about ways to help others to be an optimist.

Focus on Something Positive
No matter how harsh circumstances are, there is always something positive to focus on.  When I ran out of cash in December, I focused on the fact that my holiday accommodation had already been prepaid.  I once heard the illustration of a man driving up a winding road when a ladybug flew onto his windshield.  As long as he focused on the bug, he nearly drove over the edge, but as long as he focused on the road ahead, he drove perfectly well.

There is Always Someone Worse Off 
No matter how bad things seem to be, there are always others in a much worse situation.  When we realize that, we are grateful for the blessings in our own life, no matter how few they may seem to be.

Help Another Person
There is something healing about reaching out and helping someone else.  We can help in so many different ways - volunteering our services or time at a shelter or babies home, clearing out our cupboards and giving away decent clothing to those less advantaged than ourselves, sending a depressed friend an encouraging message, etc.  

Smile
Smile at other people during the day.  It is surprising how people respond.  A smile is such a small thing and it brings others joy.  The vast majority smile back and the minority who don't are not worth worrying about.

Sing
Music is a great mood enhancer.  When we choose our favourite music and sing or hum along heartily,  we'll feel positive in no time.  

Use Our Senses
We all know the saying, "take time to smell the roses".  I say take time to enjoy all of our senses.  Listen, taste, smell, feel and look.  Sensual enjoyment is a very positive experience, but we need to slow down to participate in them fully.

I bet that practicing these regularly will cause optimism in our lives - which the world surely needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment