Monday, September 20, 2010

Lighten Up

                                                     picture by doug_wertman


Lead SA has come up with another interesting initiative for South Africa. We have been challenged to drive our vehicles during the day with our headlights on. Apparently, research shows that when we drive with our lights on during daylight hours as well as night, accident statistics decrease. The lights make us more noticeable and we are seen more clearly by other drivers and pedestrians. The lights also make our vision clearer, particularly our peripheral vision.


In a country with such high traffic accident stats, we should surely do anything in our power to make the roads safer. I put my lights on today, and although I saw many other drivers with their headlights burning, there were still many more who had no lights shining. It is something to remember. During my second trip of the day I only remembered halfway to my destination that my lights were off. I am fortunate enough to have a car that beeps at me when I leave my headlights on, as there could be a problem if I wasn't reminded to turn my lights off at the end of the drive.


So, how about it? Wake up tomorrow morning, leap into your faithful carrier and turn on those lights. You will find yourself smiling at every other driver who has their lights on, as if you all belong to some secret superhero club.

No comments:

Post a Comment